I wish someone or Google has a clear answer to that.
There isn't. Hence I went on to research on the topic. Here are some things that I learnt.
There isn't a CMS that is suitable for API documentation (if there is, please answer here).
Who has the best API Documentation? There is a lot of contenders. For me, it is Parse, Stripe and Google.
Parse has wrote a great article. The best advise for API Docs.
These components are needed:
- Getting Started (short & quick)
- Full reference (the API details)
- Guides (like telling a story)
- Sample Applications using the SDK
And Parse do what they preach.
Some Technologies Parse seems to use:
- Marketo - for marketing, web visitor tracking and engagement (>$1,000/mth)
- Hello Bar - ($29 for solo self hosted, or $4.95 per 100 clicks)
- Kiss Metric - analytics and feedbacks
- Google Analytics - website analytics
- Adroll - ads
- mixpanel - analytics